"Godzilla" - Review

5:09 PM



I was going to post this last night after I got back from the movie to make my deadline but returned late and felt like a review written while I was half-awake wouldn't be one worth reading. It would have been a disaster. A funny disaster, probably. But still a disaster.

Disclaimer, I guess: This review is coming from the perspective of someone who has never seen any Godzilla movie up until this point in her life. I will not be making any comparisons to the earlier films/TV shows/Godzilla lore because I do not have that sort of knowledge at my disposal. Sorry.

Now, on we go...

Godzilla was everything you want in an action movie and then some. Not only did it have the action, suspense, and a few stomach-clenching surprises - it also possessed a lovely family dynamic that was present throughout the entire film. The main protagonist, Ford (played by Kick-Ass himself, Aaron-Taylor Johnson), and his family fuel the story in the moments that the movie needed it the most. You really feel for the characters and share their panic when the climax and the destruction of New York reaches its highest note. 

To someone who has never seen or researched the Godzilla lore, I was pleasantly surprised to find that he was Earth's protector. I thought it was a great twist and really rooted for him as he battled his foes. I mean, really, there was a point where he grabbed one of them by its neck, snapped it back, and spit electric blue fire down its throat. You can't get any more badass than that. 

Going into the theatre with pretty stagnant expectations, I was thoroughly entertained throughout the film. Although this might have been because I went to a later showing, I was conscious of its run time (123 minutes) and felt there was even more room for character development. While the film did its job in making me fear for the lives of its characters, killing off two central characters in the first half hour, the writer in me really wanted to get to the meat of the relationships - specifically between Ford and his wife, Elle. While the actor's chemistry was clearly palpable, their lack of screen time sometimes made me question their affection. But, since this is an action film, I'll let it slide.

There was some speculation following the announcement of this film. Mostly on the "Hollywood is so unoriginal" persuasion. While I agree wholeheartedly to that (there might be a future post dedicated on the matter), I think that Godzilla is the exception. The original film gave birth to a creature whose name is now known around the world. There have been many attempts to reimagine the unlikely hero with mediocre results. In 2014, we now have the technology and the experience to concoct a good remake. The CGI in Godzilla is phenomenal. I also saw it in IMAX 3-D, which also added to the aesthetic. While I wouldn't recommend seeing it in 3-D (I would have forgotten I was watching it in 3-D had it not been for the unwelcome pressure of the glasses pressing against the tip of my nose), the IMAX was a definite plus. I endorse it not only for the amount of detail you can practically touch, but also for the reverberating sound of Godzilla's battlecry that shook our seats into submission. 

As a whole, Godzilla was well worth the overpriced IMAX 3-D ticket I purchased. It has everything a good action movie needs, plus the added bonus of the badass that is Godzilla himself.

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Search