Give a Little Love

12:31 PM


The best conversations happen after midnight.

Recently, I had a talk with my cousin/roommate about where we were going to be a year from now. At face value, we'll be picking up our cap and gown and finishing our last college finals as undergrads. It's a scary thought. It became even scarier when we started thinking about our careers and how we were going to fair after graduation. Scratch that - it became terrifying.

My cousin is a Therapeutic Recreation major but she has plans to go into an accelerated Nursing program after graduation. Even with a relatively steady profession like that, she's still nervous about where the future will take her. Where she'll end up, if she'll succeed.

After talking with her, I began to realize just how universal uncertainty is when it comes to a person's career. I've been told time and time again that it's only something people majoring in the arts deal with (myself included). But really, everyone goes through it. With all of the stories about the economy failing and job security becoming rarer with each passing year, all professions are being affected. It's your job to make yourself more marketable and gain experiences that will make you a better candidate for whatever you want to go into.

As a writer, I have a lot of dreams. But the most important one to me is getting a book published. I've have one of my short stories published in an on-campus journal, but other than that I know next to nothing about the publishing world or how to make myself stand out. And since I want book-writing to be my main source of income one day - with my work hours clocked in my own personal library, typing away at my computer - realistically, I'll need to find "normal" job first. Naturally, I want that job to be writing-specific so I won't hate going in to work every day and be using my strengths to their fullest potential. Call me greedy or what-not but I really don't want to work in retail for the rest of my life.

So, I'm trying to get experience that will make me marketable to magazines. Or maybe even newspapers. Anything to make me a prime candidate.

Yet as a writer, I am constantly hearing and reading work from people who are much more talented than I am - much more accomplished. While that serves as a sort of fuel to get me going it can also be my greatest drawback. I'll read short stories from fellow students and be like "Wow. This is amazing. How can I ever compete with this?" The same goes for my reading habits. I'll read a book and marvel at how amazing it is and how I'll never be able to write like so-and-so. It's really depressing, honestly, and I find myself fishing for compliments from random friends and family members to make myself feel better - not caring if they're telling the truth when they say they love my work.

Today, I gave a three-minute reading in front of a class for my final. It was a humor piece and my goal was to make everyone laugh, which, strangely enough, I did. After that, a classmate came up to me and asked if I considered to apply to the Lanthorn (our college newspaper). I'd been tossing around the idea for a while but didn't think I would be a right fit. I'm no journalist.

"Well, you should apply in the fall," the classmate said. "If you wrote for them, I'd actually read it."

My face reddened after that. It was a compliment I didn't ever expect to get - especially from a classmate whose work I admired.

For background: The Lanthorn, along with any college newspaper, doesn't get a lot of traffic with students. Sure, some headlines catch campus-wide attention but other than that, most don't take the time to read it. I'm guilty of this. I mean, I pick up a copy every new addition but I only graze the articles and look at the comic. There are editorials also, usually written by writing majors, but I never read them for fear of feeling inferior. No joke. I'm pretty petty.

So when someone suggested I apply to write those same editorials, I was pretty floored. Flattered beyond belief - but mostly floored.

Getting a compliment like that really made my day. Any day when someone compliments anything about my work is a good day. Just a simple "I really love your writing style" can mean a world of difference to me. And I'm sure the same would go for anyone else.

If you like someone's writing - tell them. If you think their dress is cute, tell them. If you think they're funny or liked what they had to say in class, tell them. Don't back down on account of sounding creepy or fearing that they won't appreciate your compliment. Chances are it'll make their day. Personally, I was having a pretty crappy start to finals week, worrying about deadlines that were approaching too quickly, when someone came up to me and told me I should write for the Lanthorn. With no fear of sounding cheesy, I can confidently say that the sun shined a little bit brighter on my walk to the bus stop.

Moral of the story: Make someone's sun shine brighter. Make them feel confident about their job choice. You never know what could happen.

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Search