The Importance of Feedback

5:15 PM

Today I want to talk about the importance of feedback. Now, this can apply to any number of things but I'm going to focus mainly on the writing aspect of it. I know - shocker, right?

As some of you may know, I'm currently working on my first novel. As many published novelists will tell you, the first book is always the hardest. The same can be said for running your first mile or even drawing your first self-portrait. While the process of development is relatively (and I use the term lightly) quick and simple, the habit of sitting down and actually typing things out is where it gets tricky. Some people only write when the muse's smile upon them, some have a set time every day/week that they write something out, and so on. And when you finally get that first draft of the first chapter done, you're filled with such an immense pride that you could just get up and sing show tunes for the rest of the day.

The feeling is then promptly stomped on by the big foot of reality. Instead of being flattened like a pancake, you're left with questions like: Is this even any good? How is my prose? Are my characters believable? Will anyone actually read this other than my mom?

There is only way to answer those questions: Ask someone.

But not just anyone. You have to choose this person very carefully. You have to choose someone that you know will be honest with you - who will praise some aspects of your story while also constructively questioning other choices that you've made. You need another writer. Or maybe just someone who reads like one. I went through many "readers" until I found the one that helped me out the most. And it wasn't someone who I was expecting. Not in the least.

The point is to address those questions that you have about your own work as soon as you can. Personally, I don't want to hand in my first manuscript with an ending that doesn't convey what I want it to. Or one that's written in prose that has a habit of switching tenses every sentence. Even though a manuscript is far from a final draft, I want it to feel like I've put everything into it before sending it in. That way, when I get a verdict from the publishing companies on whether or not they want to publish it, I know that maybe they're not the ones I want publishing my baby in the first place.

Ahem.

This process may not work for everyone. For instance, you may not want to show anyone your work until you've already sent it to a few publishing houses so that you can brag about how you wrote it all on your own. I know that's what I wanted to do at first. But then I realized after talking to the right people that I love bouncing ideas off of someone. I love having someone there to tell me what does and doesn't work for them about the story, the characters, etc. I just love the workshopping process. But, oddly enough, I only like it as a one-on-one activity. Everyone is different. The trick is to find what works for you.

I would recommend this feedback/workshopping technique to anyone who is writing something. Chances are you might have already taken a class in high school or college where you had to do something similar.Why not pick your own partner instead of having one assigned based on how close your last names are? Ever since I did just that, I've been more inspired than ever. Finding the time to use the inspiration to my story's benefit on the other hand... well, that's a tale for another time.

If any of you have tried this, let me know how it worked out for you! I am endlessly fascinated by other people's writing processes and would love to hear about the different things you do to get past certain plot holes and structure issues. Who knows - maybe you can help me find another method that works well for me and I'll return the favor and share some other tips. ;)

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Search